Friday, September 3, 2010

Precision Camera Reply #2

I received another communication from Precision Camera. I don't recall sending them a follow-up to their original, nearly useless reply, so they're probably reading this blog. That's OK so long as the job gets done.

The e-mail came from Myles, and I sent him a thank-you note in return. Engineers named "Scotty" or "Myles" are OK in my book, but I'm a big Star Trek fan.  ...but not big enough to dress up in costume.

I learned that yes, the problem was with the shutter assembly. Myles also found a problem with the P Fuse caused by my marveling overlong at the constantly clicking shutter. The P Fuse serves the shutter mechanism's motor drive (he didn't tell me that, I had to look it up). While I understand the logic, I don't understand why the shutter kept clicking if I'd damaged the P Fuse, but I'll just assume that he's replacing the P Fuse as a precaution, and that's OK with me.

He also noted my fresnel was scratched and dirty (yeah, and when you hit 45, I bet yours will be, too). I knew this already, but I didn't care as it doesn't affect the image. Myles stated he is replacing the fresnel, too.  So long as it doesn't cost extra, I'm OK with that. Fixed, the camera is worth about $200, and that is what the repair is costing me (so far as I know, and not counting lost business).

Myles provided some other useful bits of information, too. For one, his e-mail included a warning about the damage a failed shutter assembly can cause the sensor if the camera isn't turned off immediately. At least I dodged that one.

More reassuringly, he noted that this type of repair is standard. Yay! He didn't explain why, if it's standard, they didn't have the parts on hand. ...not that an explanation would speed up repairs any.

I've been reading an online forum about Precision Camera (dated 2006) and came to the conclusion that they're pretty good - unless you own a Sony. However, that's more Sony's fault because Sony has been making some really crappy electronics for just over a decade. As one colleague described Sony - "they're hit or miss. If you get one that works, you're golden."

Myles didn't mention when the parts were due. That's OK, though. It leaves me with something to fuss about until I get my camera back.

© 2010 - Robert Lawton, all rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment