Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Precision Camera Reply #1

Today I received a reply from Precision Camera to my e-mail query regarding when I can expect my Canon back. The answer wasn't very precise. The parts should arrive in a week or two, and the repair may take another week after that. Thus goeth my September.

I found the reply itself more curious. First, they took overnight to reply. That's what it took the last time I sent them a question. This possible coincidence makes me wonder if their e-mail support group isn't located somewhere on the other side of the planet. That's not a bad idea, really. Unlike telephone support, I suspect most people can read English even if it's typed with an accent.

The real cause for my concern, however, is that at no point did the e-mail actually acknowledge the specifics of my repair job. In short, the reply looked very much like a form letter. Sure, form letters can be informative, but they aren't confidence inspiring, and right now, that's what I lack.

Given how little information the e-mail contained, they could have just as easily included this information with my camera's repair status. So, in addition to: "Repair is on hold, waiting for parts," they could have appended the useful detail: "expect a two week delay" and maybe even a "we're sorry for the inconvenience," too. At least then I wouldn't have bothered them with an e-mail.

I'd hoped the e-mail I received would have included information about what was wrong with my camera and assurance the could fix it for the price specified and that they typically don't run out of parts. As it is, at least "Monica" or Swati or whoever pushed the button to generate a standard response had the decency to include a nice, generic apology.

© 2010 - Robert Lawton, all rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment